Today I have to baby-sit "YAPO," Yet Another Planned Outage, which we almost never had in the "Upstairs Lab." In this new area, we have had network outages, power outages, and equipment failures at a far greater level than before. Many of the "planned outages" are over the weekend, and I have had to baby-sit most of them. At least today's YAPO is during my normal morning work hours, and doesn't involve a section with servers (we hope, that's what they told us, only two of our rows are affected by this maintenance). Baby-sitting involves:
- Gracefully shutting down all systems on the netowrk/power grid affected
- Waiting to see when the workers actually shut the network/power off
- Keeping an eye on their work, making sure the Doozers build more crystal lattice
- When they give me the "all clear," I power everything back up, make sure it's okay
- I write a report on what happened, and what excuses they gave for being late
Some "production" system.
This entry was originally posted at http://www.punkwalrus.com/blog/archives/00000283.html