See, it's not just the concept of spam, but every comment added slows down the recompiling of this blog. It's not based on SQL or anything like that, it's all flat files, which is why I used it (this server didn't have SQL when I started, and I don't want to fork with the SQL currently running the message board that is of the the main reasons this server exists).
Now, I have thought, "Fuck it, I can just port everything to the Live Journal." I mean, I have the Perl modules and l33t programming skills to do it, but Live Journal has some major drawbacks, and I am weighing the options.
Porting to LJ Pros:
- Spam comment blocking
- Someone else handles all the back end stuff
- Premium membership has polls, mail, and subdomain option
- It has almost all of the options this journal has except search.
- Abilty to make some posts "friends only" when I don't want to share them with the whole world.
- Eventually, this blog will bog down
Porting to LJ Cons:
- If LJ goes tits up, or becomes all ad-based, I am farked.
- No search function. I use it a lot when I ask, "Did I already post that?" on here.
- LJ gets slow during peak periods. Times out a lot in the evening (EST).
- It costs $25/year for better features. Not much, really.
- Not as much control how the site looks.
Please, please, please let me know what you think, by posting your comments here.
This entry was originally posted at http://www.punkwalrus.com/blog/archives/00000695.html