punkwalrus (punkwalrus) wrote,

RHCE... not toodee

Stress and nervous tension are now serious social problems in all parts of the Galaxy, and it is in order that this situation should not in any way be exacerbated that the following facts will now be revealed in advance. *

I didn't take the exam.

No, I didn't chicken out. I didn't run fleeing, like a high strung, spoiled little rich girl facing her birthday party without ponies. I didn't head for the hills like the fine citizens of Grovers Mill, New Jersey on Halloween Night, 1938. I didn't fail, and then claim it was all a dream and Bobby Ewing stepped out of my shower, and I'm still working retail. I didn't even show up late. In fact, it was because I showed up early that I figured out what had happened.

They closed the Red Hat offices, and neglected to tell the students.

I swear to god. I got there between 8:30-8:45, when they suggest. I went to their headquarters in Tysons Corner, took the elevator to the third floor, walked up to their front door, and it was locked. It was a solid door, but surrounded by glass, and I could see most of the lights were off, the receptionist desk was vacant, and even when I rang the door buzzer, no one came to the door. There was no movement. "Maybe they're late?" I said to the empty hallway. I thought maybe the exam guy or girl was out of sight of the door, and someone would come around 9. Someone did, another student. This guy, who seemed pretty smart, waited with me. He had some phone numbers, and at first he called, and got voice mail, but after 9am, the messages he got changed, which said they were closed for Good Friday.

WTF? I signed up for this exam back in December! It was the first available for this area, and I... ooooooh! I was MAD! I called the head of my company's training, and left messages. I left messages with Red Hat's customer service voice mail. So did the other student, and he had the cell phone number of the teacher as well. No one told us.

We waited until after 10 (and watched the morning Fed Ex guy and UPS guy get turned away by the same closed door and non-answering of the buzzer) in case it was a misunderstanding. But nothing changed, and we thought, "That's it, let's go home."

So I spent the day with Christine, CR, and part of it with Anya. We wet to the pound, Arigato Sushi, and BJ's Warehouse. Then I came home and crashed. I was tired from all the studying.

But, I am not totally bummed. The head of our company training called be back a few hours later, and she was mad. She called, got the same voice mail, and assured me, in the dark tones I have known her to use well, that everything would be taken care of (crackle of thunder).

And, it's more time to study, too.

Thanks, everyone, for supporting me through this. Thanks for your kind words and support. They mean a lot to me. :) :) :)

* excerpt thanks to Douglas Adams from, The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
  • Post a new comment


    Anonymous comments are disabled in this journal

    default userpic

    Your reply will be screened

    Your IP address will be recorded