The Network Setup bit is highly technical and really quite confusing, unless you’re a superhero computer guru like me. So, to help the un-guru-like understand this extremely difficult subject, I have defined a few of the terms you will find on this screen.
- Network: Ask yourself this - "Does the net work?" Well, if you’re able to check your email, or if you can read this page, then the net does indeed work. This means you can just click "Next".
- eth0: Uh… This has something to do with ethics. Just some kind of legal mumbo jumbo. You can ignore it.
- dhcp: "Does Henry Create Peace". Damn right.
- hostname: This is the name of the host. Generally speaking, though, a dinner party is not really the right time to be installing Fedora, because of all the distractions. Explain to your host that you must go home soon to finish some very important work stuff. Then get drunk and proposition the hostess. Throw up in the umbrella stand. Get into a fight or two. Stagger home bleeding, drunk, and prepared for an all-night installfest. When you’re ready, click "Next".
- automatic: Now this sounds like the one for me. Click "Next" dammit.
Man, I laughed so hard at this, I snorted until my taped glasses fell into my pocket protector.